Saturday, March 16, 2013

Hearty Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins


Seriously deliciously healthy, and, as always, Gluten & Dairy Free!




I put this picture on my instagram this morning (follow me! @shynnz) and had a few people ask for the recipe! This is a super easy, grab-and-go snack for those I-slept-in-and-don't-have-time-to-make-a-real-breakfast days. 

Prep Time: 8 minutes          Cook Time: 25 - 30 minutes          Only ~75 calories each!


Ingredients:

2 1/2 c gluten-free old fashioned oats (if you don't have gluten intolerances, regular oats are just as delicious!)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 c chopped almonds
1/4 c apple sauce
2 c unsweetened almond milk (vanilla almond milk / unsweetened coconut milk / vanilla coconut milk also a possibility)
1/4 c agave maple syrup (or pure maple syrup)
2 c blueberries (I was short on my blueberries, so I added raspberries and strawberries too)
1 egg
2 tbs chia seeds (optional)
coconut flakes (optional)





Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 375* & place liners in muffin tins
2. Combine oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, almonds and berries in a large bowl. 




3. Whisk together applesauce, almond milk, egg, chia seeds and maple syrup in a separate small bowl. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients. 



4. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with batter.
5. Bake at 375* for 25 - 30 min (or until golden brown)
    - If you want to top yours with coconut as I did, sprinkle the tops of your muffins about 5 minutes before taking them out of the oven
6. Allow to cool, then enjoy! (Make sure you keep them stored in the refrigerator) 
    - If you don't think you'll eat them all within about 5 days, I would definitely suggest freezing the rest and then thawing them as needed!

My husband has been eating these up like crazy! There is no need for any type of sugar (I promise) especially if you use vanilla almond milk, due to the yummy spices and coconut flakes, so the muffins end up only being about 75 calories each and are insanely filling. 
Enjoy 

- Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment