Monday, March 11, 2013

Breakfast doesn't have to be boring!

Hello readers!

This weekend was spent experimenting in the kitchen with a few recipes and I thought I'd share with you one that my husband (who had admitted he is not a vegetable person) loved! It is kind of a like a strata / frittata egg dish, with lots of protein and vegetables and is really easy to keep in the refrigerator and heat up as needed.  I will say these are great, because you can really manipulate the recipe to add more of what you like and take away what you don't. My dish was super loaded with ingredients, because that is just what my husband likes more, but I have made it with less ingredients and it is still delicious. 
So without further ado, here is a delicious and nutritious (not to mention gluten and dairy free) way to start your day:


Ingredients needed:

8 - 10  eggs (I used 10 of my family's chicken's eggs, but if you're using store bought eggs, 8 should be enough)
1/4 c   almond milk
(I also sometimes add about an 1/8th of a cup of water)
1   brown rice tortilla (If you aren't gluten-intolerant, you can substitute bread or any type of tortilla, or do away with this entirely! I like it because it adds a feeling of "crust")
1 - 2   chicken breasts cooked (I used 2 small, but once again, cater to what you enjoy)
4   pieces of turkey bacon, cooked
1   red pepper
1   head of broccoli (mine yielded about 1.5 - 2 cups)
1/4   of a head of cauliflower
1/8 c   Cheese (I used Go Veggie! Soy cheese)


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375* and grease pan. (I used a 9x9 glass square pan, but have also used 8x8 metal pans, round cake pans and 9x13 pans, so once again very customizable to what your needs are)
2. Line the bottom of the pan with the brown rice tortilla (cut to size as needed)
3. Cube chicken breast and line bottom of the pan with chicken cubes.
4. In a seperate fairly large bowl, combine eggs, milk, water, and wisk.


5. Cut up turkey bacon, pepper, broccoli and cauliflower and fold each into egg mixture.
6. Pour eggs, bacon, and veggies over chicken and tortilla and even out the surface using a spatula.


7. Put it into the oven for about 30 minutes.
8. (optional) Sprinkle cheese on top and let it cook for about 10 more minutes - your baking time will depend on your oven, altitude and pan type, but the edges should be golden brown and the middle will be mostly cooked - remember that eggs will continue to cook even after you take them out of the oven!


9. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and enjoy!

As you can see, my frittata is chock full of yummy goodness, I love seeing all of those colors!
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy recipe! 
Total prep time: 10 min, Total cook time: 40-50min.
Let me know if you tried this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment